Imperial Reference Cogitator

Friday, October 18, 2019

Dreadtober Week Three



Dreadtober rolls on, shredding painting days off the calendar with it's time-space continuum rending assault cannon...







Almost finished all the base coats, and most of the shades.  Nuln Oil in the recesses of the armor and then all over Biel-Tan green on the Caliban green base coats.  After that it will be on to the light green edge highlights.   I've been using shades and back in the day inks for a long time but I still don't employ them in innovative ways necessarily.  Painting truckloads of dark green miniatures over the years, I've had better luck with black shades and inks for the recesses.  The current standard of Agrax Earthshade for most armour recesses doesn't seem to stand out against the Caliban green on my minis.  I have read a lot about using different colored shades over base coats to bring out new colors from the combinations but it doesn't seem to work too well with the base colors of the first legion.

Also started some of the armour edge highlights, but mainly on the top so not really visible in the front pictures but a little on the rear photos.  I'm still taking phone photos, if anyone knows where my digital camera's battery charger that I haven't used since iPhones were invented happens to be, please comment below.  The detail clarity on the pictures is good, but when I zoom and crop them they seem to get really dark.

Got really stuck in going nuts on the tyranid corpse on the base, as well as the genestealer skulls I added to the base.  Not having many occasions to paint pink and purple, I had a lot of fun finishing all the base details this week.

Attached the pennant to the assault cannon arm and I really like the way that it looks.  I've only started some base coating on the arms, they will probably get painted last. Still need to shade all the bone white areas with Seraphim Sephia, and then add their edge highlights, same with all the red areas except with Carroburg Crimson for the shade.


He's a blocky, boxy little thing, especially when contrasted with my Contemptor, but I'm really starting to love the way the look is coming together now that the base is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment