Imperial Reference Cogitator

Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Dreadtober Week One

Part The Second


Technically Week One of Dreadtober was last week, but since I just invented this blog on Sunday I'm still back filling a little bit.  If you are one of the what I still assume to be imaginary readers of this blog, you should really take a minute to head over to the Dreadtober site and check out all the awesome models people are working on.  It gives me a very positive feeling about the hobby I love to see so many people participating.  Growing up as a classic rock fan Rocktober always followed Zeptember, but I think Dreadtober may be crushing Rocktober in it's dreadnought sized power fists.





The purity seals are part of the model, but I added the greaves, sarcophagi cover, censer, and chapter icon to give it a distinctly Dark Angels flavor, which I imagine tastes like a weird combination of jungle, robes, and primitive bolt guns if the Gav Thorpe novels are to be believed.

I think I'm going to lean into the pulped tyranid/stealer body parts that are part of the sculpt of the base.  There are a few genestealer skulls in the magic GW giant box o' skulls that I think I'll be adding to the base.

A slight digression on the awesomeness that is the Citadel Skulls Set.  To circle back to WD 122 from my origin story the other day, I was always fascinated by the really creative conversions in 'Eavy Metal.




In those days there was a text page(s) towards the end of White Dwarf that would have information about all the pictures that month.  I can still remember the mindblowing experience of the idea that someone would buy a box of miniatures, in this particular case skeleton cavalry for WFB, and cut them up to use as conversion material for a 40K model.  My 13 year old self could barely hold on to money long enough to have four dollars just to buy a blister of two lead miniatures, let alone buy expensive boxes of models just to use as kitbashing parts.

So of course when my adult self had the chance to buy a box of 340! skulls for only twenty-five dollars I snatched them up so fast it sent the cranial osseous matter (it's extremely difficult to find synonyms for skulls) inside spinning in their cardboard tomb.





















As will become apparent as I post more pictures of my armies, the bases of my miniatures make it seem like the ground of the grimdark is as littered with random skulls in the grass as our current era is with plastic grocery bags.  Although appropriate for the setting based on the amount of John Blanche paintings I've seen in my long hobby life, it probably speaks to my having seen the Terminator at way too formative an age; but that is a story for another model in a future post.

No comments:

Post a Comment