Imperial Reference Cogitator

Tuesday, October 15, 2019

#DadGoals

Last Saturday the day I've been waiting for basically since my son was born finally arrived.  We played our first game of Warhammer 40,000.  Technically we played Kill Team, but it was his first miniatures games on a real table with scenery.  Starting a few years ago we played Heroclix as super-heroes were the easiest hook into gaming.  Last year Betrayal at Calth came in handy as more than just the source of 30K miniatures, it was the first in-universe GW game we played together with miniatures.






He had been asking about Kill Team over the summer because I had been playing a few games practicing for Nova in August.  We didn't hit a point where we had the at least 3 hours it would take to play through a first time game and rules explanation until last weekend when my wife and daughter were at an all day Girl Scout event.

After covering the basics we flipped through the ten scenarios in the rulebook and none of them really struck my son's fancy.  He made up a mission where my Dark Angels were trying to rescue a captured marine from his Red Corsairs squad.  It tilted the scenario in his favor but it was worth it to see my nine year old inventing his own narrative mission for our first game together. 


After setting up terrain and deploying our squads we went out for lunch and came back full of burgers and fries ready to play.  It was a fun game that was pretty even until a few of my marines finally made it to their captured brother but were subsequently overwhelmed by enemy fire. The captured marine was at the base of the statue in the back of the his deployment zone.

I know from his 16-1 record against me in Heroclix that my son has ridiculously good dice luck especially when versus my below average rolling usually means any game against him is an uphill battle.  This game was no different but he loved the game and can't wait to play again, which is the most important part.  He picked up the main rules by the second or third turn and I gave him plenty of reminders of when to use the stratagems at the best opportunity.  He even used his Halloween costume to get into Chaos Space Marine character which gave me a suitably anonymous picture of my kid to put on the Internet.

#Dadgoals courtesy of (Jerod)imusPrime at the Battle Mallet Podcast.

No comments:

Post a Comment