Imperial Reference Cogitator

Friday, September 10, 2021

40K 2nd Edition Army Challenge II - Complete!

Reinforcements!

Still trying to figure out what makes me filled with more nostalgic glee, the hazard stripes on the chainswords or the hazard stripes on the Terminator's power fists?




I tried a variety of different shot compositions for the final picture, but I thought this one put too much focus on the crease in my cardboard backdrop.

Participating in the second season of this wonderful challenge was even more fun than the first season.  Thanks to the challenge I now have the largest painted army that I’ve ever owned.  After years of practice painting, the discipline of painting every month for the challenge has also helped raise my painting skills to a level that I never thought they would reach.  Most importantly the two seasons of the challenge have connected me to an amazing (if tiny) community of hobbyists that are always ready to offer encouragement or good natured ribbing as the situation dictates.  During season two I was able to meet up with the Wachtmeister who lives nearby and we played a glorious game of 2nd edition.  We have also started meeting regularly to play a wide range of games with each other or other members of his gaming group, so the challenge can also be credited with exposing me to many other games and new gaming partners.  These two seasons of the challenge have been the most fun I have had engaging with the hobby and thanks to DR TV for organizing and running it.  Also thanks to all the other gamers for the many hours of entertainment provided by the zany group chat that runs during the season.  

This was my final months contribution to the challenge, the second half of Tactical Squad Astelan

The other participants of the challenge pointed out that if the sky is red in the background then the smoke should fade to red at the edges, not white.  That's what I get for using a black and white photo to try and paint the look of billowing smoke :-)

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely thrilled to hear that and so happy for what you have achieved!

    And way cool with your link up with Dennis. Maybe I can join you guys one day. 😆

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely work on the Dark Angels!

    Its a cracking little army and I love the retro model selection too!

    ReplyDelete