Imperial Reference Cogitator

Thursday, October 1, 2020

Dreadtobers Of Future Past...

 Red Corsairs Helbrute Week 1


Our five year mission to paint all the models in the Dark Vengeance set while trying to not drown under the tide of models that I've bought in the interim...

Dreadtober has arrived and this year my entry is the Helbrute model that came in the Dark Vengeance box set I bought when first getting back into the hobby.  My son has recently played his first game of actual WH40K and he loved playing as the Chaos Space Marines.  So for Dreadtober this year I decided I would finally paint this model that has been lurking at the edges of my painting area for the last six years and add some firepower and close combat punch to the CSM army my son will want to use in our WH40K games going forward.  Last year's Dreadtober entry awaits after the jump...


Dark Angels 4th Company Dreadnought Mark V from Dreadtober 2019

Since I'm also painting in the 2nd Edition Army Challenge my second reason for choosing the Helbrute was that I already had a bit of a head start on this model.  He was primed on the sprue (which is probably why he has a few gaps where parts should be flush) around the time I bought Dark Vengeance.  Last summer when I was preparing my Red Corsairs army list for Nova 2019 I wasn't sure if I'd use a Helbrute in my list so I sprayed him red while basecoating the marines I was painting for the CSM army.  As a final step of unintentional preparation was when my son spilled a pot of Carroburg Crimson a few weeks ago and I had to scramble to find something that needed to be shaded red with all that spilled shade.  This Helbrute was close at hand and needed to be shaded red so this model received a very healthy coat of Carroburg Crimson salvaged off the painting table.  Thanks to these head start steps it made for a great model to take on for this challenge while simultaneously working on my oldhammer challenge.  Jump over to the main Dreadtober site to see all the cool projects the other participants are taking on this month.

Deathwing Relic Contemptor Dreadnought that I painted before I knew the joys of participating in Dreatober.


No comments:

Post a Comment