Imperial Reference Cogitator

Monday, October 12, 2020

2020/2021 Hobby Season Kick Off And To-Do List

 The Big Leagues



As I began to read more and more hobby blogs in the last few years I spotted these badges on a few of my favorite blogs.  They were an enticingly cool way to keep track of hobby progress through the year, but I didn't want to go the typical internet route to steal the badges and start using them with out understanding more about ''hobby season".  Fortunately I had my ear to the proverbial hobby blog street at the right time this year, and the excellent Confessions Of A 40k Addict blog revealed the secrets of inclusion in hobby season I had been seeking.  Read the preceding link for more information on hobby season and follow along after the jump for my personal hobby goals of the 2020-2021 hobby season...

I'm going to arrange things in a month by month basis with the caveat that management reserves the right to reshuffle monthly project goals at any time while lacking any prior notification ;-)  Also I'll break them down into categories/game systems/painting challenge to help with my tracking of overall goals (ie painting a whole army, or painting all the pieces for a game).  They will be roughly arranged in order of priority for the month, with the bottom of each month's column being the "stretch" goal of the month.  

I have really enjoyed the many painting challenges I have participated in over the last year, and overall goal will be catch some more of the challenges that I have heard about over the years but haven't been coordinated enough to be involved in as of yet (Squaduary, Monster March, Jewel of July)

Dreadtober - well this months goal's should be obvious just from the name of the month 

  • Red Corsairs Helbrute
  • Blood Bowl - 3 human players
  • WH40K 2nd Edition Painting Challenge - Combat Squad from Squad Scalprum (Devastators)
  • Epic Proportions - Salamanders Tactical Company 

November -I think I remember some bloggers painting terrain odds and ends in November last year.  I'll have go check around and see if I can figure out where before Halloween.

  • WH40K 2nd Edition Painting Challenge - 2nd Combat Squad from Squad Scalprum (Devastators)
  • Blood Bowl - 3 Ork players
  • Epic Proportions - Ultramarines Tactical Company 

December -

  • Dark Angels Predator
  • WH40K 2nd Edition Painting Challenge - Company Master and Techmarine
  • Blood Bowl - 3 human players
  • Epic Proportions - Ultramarines Battle Company



January - Is this Squaduary? or is it February?  I'll line up squads for both months just in case and adjust as we get closer to that time and I figure out which it is.

  • 10th Squad, 4th Company - 4 Lascannon Devastators plus the rest of their ten man squad
  • Blood Bowl - 3 Ork players
  • Epic Proportions - Salamanders Predators and Ultramarines Vindicators

February - Is this Squaduary? or is it January?  I'll line up squads for both months just in case and adjust as we get closer to that time and I figure out which it is.

  • 7th Squad, 4th Company - ten man assault squad with jump packs
  • Blood Bowl - 3 human players
  • Epic Proportions - Salamanders Dreadnoughts and Ultramarines Terminators

March - I think I remember Monster March hopefully I'm not getting it confused with a podcast crossover or something

  • 3rd edition Bloodthirster of Khorne -  if I don't paint of for a challenge it may never get painted and I'm sure my son will enjoy summoning a Greater Demon for his CSM forces
  • Blood Bowl - 3 Ork players
  • Epic Proportions - Salamanders Bike Squad and Ultramarines Dreadnoughts

 


April -

  • Dark Angels Rhino
  • Blood Bowl - 3 human players
  • Epic Proportions -Veteran Ultramarines Detachment plus Razorbacks

May -

  • Assault Intercessors or Deathwing Terminator Squad
  • Blood Bowl - 3 Ork players
  • Epic Proportions - Salamanders Whirlwinds and Ultramarines Whirlwinds

June -

  • Stormraven rehab
  • Blood Bowl - 3 Dwarven players
  • Epic Proportions - Warlord Titan!

July - I think this is Jewel of July, what better jewel than a big bone white tank?

  • Deathwing Land Raider Crusader
  • Blood Bowl - 3 Dwarven players
  • Epic Proportions - Warlord Titan!

August - Hopefully a 2nd annual Inquisitional Conclave will occur next August 

  • Deathwing Knights
  • Inquisitor - I will have to hunt for another suitable model on eBay
  • Blood Bowl - 3 Dwarven players



The calm, wise stare of Dr Zaius awaits those with the perseverance to make it through an exhaustive recounting of someone else's hobby goals 


It's very illuminating to track out the whole year in this fashion with realistic goals, I've never considered how much work I could get done in a year with a coherent plan.  This mirrors a lot of the concepts laid out in Dave Taylor's excellent Armies, Legions, and Hordes which I read last year and was in part an inspiration for this blog.  I will have to do a full write up on it in the future.  As I said I may shuffle things around and I will try and find as many painting challenges to engage in from month to month.  Dr TV has mentioned running a second season of the 2nd edition army challenge next year and I would certainly be in for another round.  I have just enough period models to do another 1000 points (by 2nd edition standards) of Dark Angels.

Just when you thought you were done with bullet points, random overall goals for 2020-2021 Hobby season:

  • Fully painted table - I have three 2' x 2' board sections almost finished and I want to complete the other three so I can have a full 6' x 4' painted table even though GW has decided to change the board sizes on us.
  • 4th Company Dark Angels - several units to complete this company are in the lineup and I'll be organizing the company with their own page to aid in tracking my progress on this project.
  • Imperial Fists Age of Darkness Army List - I have over 100 marines and 15 Terminators for my long term goal of playing WH30K.  I want to plan my army list out so I can complete my long time dream of building an entire army from a pre-existing plan rather than catch as catch can as I have with my Dark Angels over the years.

Thanks to Confessions of a 40K Addict for adding me to hobby season, and Old School Gaming and 262nd Death Korps of Krieg in providing such great examples of hobby season participation.


No comments:

Post a Comment