Imperial Reference Cogitator

Sunday, February 28, 2021

Squaduary 2021

Not Quite Mission Accomplished 



Well Squaduary 2021 wasn't quite as productive as I hoped it would be.  However I did get a lot done on these amazing models, and it was fun trying to figure out how to paint these scouts in my exaggerated 2nd edition style.  Since I bought these (and other metal scouts) in the days of third edition, I didn't realize they were 2nd edition models until the subject came up in the chat for the 40K2ndAC.  These sculpts are so detailed it's like painting 5 character models, I caught myself dumbstruck the other night at the idea I was painting the grenade pins on the models.  When you add in the different colors for the different grenades, hazard stripes on the chainsword, and two color shotgun shells, I'm breaking all the rules about three colors on a model.  On the other hand, making it even more cartoony than it was even in the pages of White Dwarf of the mid 90's is the way I like to paint my miniatures and as my favorite podcast is always emphasizing you have to "find your joy".  I will keep on working on these models for my first month of the 40K2ndACII and I hope you will keep following along with the fun here as well as at the main site for the challenge:

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes these challenges are just great for giving you the push you need to get something started and make some progress. I love these sculpts, they are so characterful! I look forward to seeing them when they are finished but, yeah, no need to rush! Find your joy ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Thanks, part of painting these guys for the challenge is having a tab with your post on these models open. I knew I wanted to stick with the same basic colors (bone pants, green armor) so I kept checking back with your post to make sure I was doing some of the details a little different.

      Delete