Imperial Reference Cogitator

Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Wave That Flag...

 Squad Scalprum Gets Their Banners 




The slow moving servitors and adepts of the Banneratorum have finally completed their work on the standards of Squad Scalprum.  The 9th squad of the 4th company get two banners in traditional second edition style.  The sergeant's banner is in a style lifted from the third edition Dark Angels codex, with the yellow of the 4th Company edging the banner and the bend sinister in the center.  The lower edge of the banner carries the Devastator symbol and the squad number.

The second combat squad's banner uses the more modern company markings for the 4th company, black and white checks over a field of bone white, with a roundel of the chapter symbol in the middle.  This lower edge then mimics the sergeant's banner with the Devastator designation and squad number.  I have used the black and white checks on many of the 4th company banners and coincidentally have used more and more rows of checks for the higher squad numbers.  This occurred without planning as I kept adding more and smaller checks just to challenge my painting skills, but now I think I will stick with the theme of more or less rows of checks depending on the squad number.  Thanks for following along, a full post on my recently completed Devastator squad should be along soon.  Stay safe out there...

2 comments:

  1. Nice work on the banners!

    It was always one of the iconic images of 2nd edition where pretty much everything had a back banner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. My "golden age" of love of the hobby was from around '89-'93 so in my head everyone still needs a banner even though they are mostly out of "rule of cool" fashion these days. Fortunately for me (and unfortunately for my kids) my standard of "cool" is still somewhere in 1992.

      Delete