Imperial Reference Cogitator

Saturday, January 2, 2021

Twelve Days Of Deathwing - Day Five

Though I Know That The Magnetized Never Lie...



There were already two assault cannons in my list, one from the RT era and one from from the Dark Vengeance Box Set, so I thought I was all set with arming my last "shooty" (5 marine squad with Storm Bolters) Terminator squad with a Heavy Plasma Cannon as their heavy weapon option.  However that was until I saw the Assault Cannon that came with the Deathwing box set.  It has a skull on it!  Plus swords on the barrels of the autocannon!  What could be more 40K than that!  So I made my first venture into the world of magnetizing space marine arms.  As per usual I'm about 15 years behind the curve on modeling trends.  I'm usually happy with my model it once and live with it style of building but in this case I wanted to use that awesome Assault Cannon while reserving the ability to use the Heavy Plasma Cannon when necessary.  Magnets had been purchased a while back in order to magnetize the many weapon options I have for my two epic titans.  The eagle eyed among you will notice that the titan project hasn't appeared in the blog yet so this was my first actual use of the magnets I had purchased.  I don't have a dremmel so to place the magnets appropriately I had a lot of cutting and filing to do.  I didn't quite bury them enough to be unseen but they looked a lot less visible once I added the shoulder pauldrons.  A two part epoxy was employed to bond the magnet to the models and several dry runs were practiced to ensure I got polarity correct on the first try.  Thanks for reading along and stay safe out there...


  • Terminator Captain  - most likely using a spare Cataphractii Terminator Captain from Betrayal At Calth.
  • Interrogator Chaplain Sarpedon - the old school version of the Terminator Chaplain which I have conveniently already painted.
  • Terminator Librarian with Force Axe - picked up on Ebay over the summer.
  • Deathwing Ancient - Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield 
  • Deathwing Apothecary - Storm Bolter and Narthecium
  • Deathwing Champion - Halberd of Caliban 
  • Deathwing Knights - one Master and eight Knights armed with Power Mace and Storm Shield. - Built from one of my Deathwing box sets
  • Terminator Squad - 5 man squad with Storm Bolters and Power Fists, one marine with Assault Cannon - These will be the Deathwing Terminators from the Dark Vengeance Box Set.
  • Terminator Squad - 5 man squad with Storm Bolters and Power Fists, one marine with magnetized Assault Cannon/Heavy Plasma Cannon - These are the Nova Open 2019 rescues.
  • Terminator Squad - 5 man squad with Storm Bolters and Power Fists, one marine with Assault Cannon - These are two RT Deathwing pewter minis, plus three lead RT 1st generation Terminators, they will be painted as part of the WH40K 2nd Edition painting challenge Season 2.
  • Terminator Close Assault Squad -  5 marines with Lightning Claws, one also armed with a Cyclone Missile Launcher. - Nova 2019 rescues with Deathwing bits.
  • Terminator Close Assault Squad -  5 marines with Thunder Hammers and Storm Shields, one marine armed with a Heavy Flamer.
  • Brother Azmodel - Relic Contemptor Dreadnought of the Deathwing - completed in 2019.

No comments:

Post a Comment