Imperial Reference Cogitator

Monday, December 28, 2020

Twelve Days of Deathwing - Part One

 Knights of Caliban

Sure the twelve days of Deathwing should have started a few days ago, but this blog never strays from stretching a weak comedy premise for all it's worth.  The insidious forces of Real Life have kept me from generating much content this month.  Legion Chronicles HQ is still hard at work on the 2nd Edition Army Challenge and I should be able to submit this month's work before the deadline.  In an attempt to get something new up for blog browsers to see, I'm rolling out some pictures of my current construction project - the mighty Deathwing! First up are these Deathwing Knights I have been building this month.  While these may look like the hobby butterfly has taken flight again and gotten me way off the miniature painting outline I laid out back in October, they are actually the manifestation of my new hobby outlook for 2021, Always Be Hobbying.  

Now that winter is beginning here, my wife, kids and I have been spending more time enjoying shows and movies together which is nice from a family time perspective but sometimes leaves me feeling behind the ball with my hobby time.  So instead of engaging with my phone when sitting through kid's feature films that aren't pulling my interest, the last two month's I have been working on assembling the grey masses of models that lurk on the shelves so they can be ready for future painting.  Taking care to build my models only after removing flash and mold lines in a way I've never heretofore paid attention to in my hobby life, time spent in front of the TV with the kids provides plenty of hours to properly clip and scrape everything before assembling.  


The first beneficiaries of this new model construction policy are these Deathwing Knights that have been waiting to be built ever since I picked up two boxes of them at a Hobby Works going out of business sale back at the beginning of 2018.  It's so rare to find any GW models at a discount, plus this kit builds Knights or the Deathwing command personalities or a regular squad of Deathwing Terminators so I happily snatched them up at clearance prices.  However their very versatility left me paused for a long time before building, not being able to decide what configuration to build each kit in.  An innovative solution to this problem presented itself while I was browsing eBay this summer.  Someone was selling just the Deathwing Terminator legs from this kit for a reasonable price so I bought ten more legs, thereby giving me the ability to build ten Deathwing Knights as well as ten Terminators in a mix of the command personalities and some close combat Terminators I have been desperate to add to my armies since I first read about Thunder Hammers and Lightning Claws in White Dwarf # 122 way back in 1990.  So using the now twenty models from those two kits, plus several previously owned terminators I picked up cheap at Nova 2019 and combined with the few existing Terminators I have picked up over the years; a massive project has taken shape that will hopefully manifest the giant Deathwing army I have always wanted but for many years I always assumed I could never afford.  There will be at least 35 models in five man units plus the command squad characters leading to a mighty force in Bone White while they are finally finished.  Thanks for reading along for now and I will map out more of the force, it's origins, and progress over the next few days.



No comments:

Post a Comment