Imperial Reference Cogitator

Sunday, November 29, 2020

Stormraven WIP

 Restoration Kitbash

Space Marines are known for their many Rites of War, although I think none of them involve flying ass first into combat while operating the controls with your chest and feet.

Since my 2nd edition army challenge didn't get done quite in time for this month's deadline, I though I would feature some of the modeling table distractions that threw off my progress this month.  Readers may remember that back in August I picked up an incredible deal on the secondary market to get some of the Indomitus goodies I wanted.  Included in the grab bag of other space marines that were thrown in with the things I wanted in the purchase was an "as is" Stormraven.  The model had a beautifully painted scenic base, but the model itself was only silver basecoated, and missing a VTOL thruster pair, turret guns, one of the pieces of interior detail, and a rear hatch door.  However the most egregious error was that the cockpit cover had been glued down with the pilot marine unpainted, missing arms, missing a head, and not attached to the pilot's chair so he just rattled around inside.  



To hopefully solve this dilemma I soaked the whole model in my preferred paint stripping solution and fortunately the original modeler had used super glue and not plastic cement.  After a few days soaking the cockpit cover and the cover for the turret gunner position both came off easily without damaging the model.  Now that I had access to the pilot I remedied his lack of head and arms with some bitz box dive kitbashing.  He got the head of a Ravenwing Black Knight, I love space marine helmets with a communications antenna, it sells the pilot role for me visually on Land speeder pilots, bikers, and anywhere else I think marines would need enhanced communication abilities.  He received and outstretched 2nd edition arm left arm with a hand swap to make it look like he was moving fingers over the controls.  A little cutting, green stuff, and repositioning took care of his right arm that at least in my imagination looks like it's wielding the control stick for the heavy flyer.

It took a little time but was very fun and surprisingly inspirational.  Getting the pilot right and knowing that I could paint the cockpit interior the way I wanted instead of just painting over the clear plastic made me excited enough to start digging into this project months ahead of schedule.  My Dark Angels have been defeated many times over the years by my most frequent opponent who alternately heads armies of Death Guard or Heretic Astartes, so I'm hoping this "flying Land Raider" can help break the deadlock and get the 1st Legion some wins.  Next up after painting the cockpit and pilot, is magnetizing some assault cannons for the turret gunner position.

No comments:

Post a Comment