Imperial Reference Cogitator

Wednesday, August 19, 2020

2nd Edition Army Challenge August WIP

Squad Zanthor and Characters Progress 



Progress marches along on the first month of the 2nd edition army challenge.  


The stage where they look terrible and you're worried they maybe never will come together.

After agonizing for a while over stripping these models, I decided to keep the base coats I had painted on these models back in the late 90's.  I really liked the green color I had gotten on these models years ago, a combination of Dark Angels green and Green Ink.  Since neither those colors or the Ral Partha greens I had used to drybrush them are still in my collection, I did not want to lose those original paint jobs.  Unfortunately that means keeping the yellow on the chest eagles.  The Citadel Bad Moon yellow of the 90's had coverage issues requiring a lot of coats and I think I primed these minis by hand with RP white paint so I've lost a lot of the detail on the chest eagles.  They looked a little better after I shaded them and cleaned up the edges and they will be mostly covered up by the bolters once I add them.

From there I need to decide whether I glaze over the highlights and the drybrushing to tone down the highlights and bring them in line with the colors of the rest of my force, or if I leave them brighter in the spirit of 2nd edition.  Thanks for following along, I can't wait to see the first summary post for the whole project at the end of August.  There are many talented people involved and I'm excited to see what they do.



With so many other painting projects in August I think I need to just focus on the librarian and only try to finish one of these this month.

2 comments:

  1. Don't you love that stage!? I have to say, that Librarian is my favourite of the Librarian sculpts; I'm a bit jealous :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marc, I understand how you feel. I have been a little envious of your Master of the Deathwing conversion. The vagaries of game store distribution back in the 90s meant I never seemed to get the cool Terminator characters at the stores I shopped in my local area. However I have most of the late second edition powered armor characters so who knows how the warehouse trolls were deciding what went in what box way back when.

      Delete