Imperial Reference Cogitator

Friday, April 9, 2021

Cover Gallery - White Dwarf #122

The Cover That Started It All, For Me Anyway...


Even though I included this cover in my very first post on this blog, this issue was so instrumental in the genesis of my love of the Warhammer universe it definitely needed to get the cover gallery treatment.  There are certainly better scans of this cover out there, it is more than obvious from the picture that I have owned this since I was 12 and it has been read countless times.  This cover still makes me happy every time I view it.  Even though there was very little WH40K content inside, the beautiful miniatures and stunning ads left me with a hunger to learn more about this fictional world that still continues unabated 30 years later.  Thanks for stopping by and stay safe out there...

2 comments:

  1. I loved the original Deathwing with their native American inspiration and the story that developed in the Space Hulk expansion. Its a shame that they've become more monk like in newer editions.

    Wayne England's art is awesome too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That story in the Deathwing expansion is a big part of what cemented my love of the Dark Angels. I think I was the right age for it, when I was 12 that story was epic and heroic. It was obvious even then that the story was a slightly derivative mashup of Aliens and sacrificial missions tropes but at that age I just plowed right past those warning flags and was very invested in the heroes of the story and their mission.

    The Wayne England art was so cool to look at, it's fascinating to me now that back in the days of black and white illustrations in rule books, one piece of full color artwork could anchor a whole expansion box.

    ReplyDelete