Imperial Reference Cogitator

Sunday, April 12, 2020

Battletech Goes Zoom!


Adaptive Battle Tactics Skill Unlocked!



Sorry these pictures are a little blurry, as you can see both my devices with autofocus were occupied when I took this picture



As I mentioned in an earlier post, my weekly gaming group had just started a linked Battletech campaign with some RPG elements lifted from Mechwarrior and a few tweaks to FASA's almost 40 year old role-playing rules.  Then came the current pandemic and we brainstormed to find a way to keep our campaign going.  I have found a site Megamek.org that seems to be the Roll 20 of Battletech that looks like a site people have been using to run online "tabletop" Battletech for quite some time.  We will probably explore that down the road but for now we have settled on a great way to get together virtually for a weekly game night since we can't get together physically.  Since Zoom is free to join and I have a few email addresses I was able to login in two devices just to be cameras on either end of the board, and then use my laptop for actually chatting with the other player in our group.  I am such an in universe geek about Battletech, that the first time we played over Zoom I pointed out that it would be more realistic for our role-playing since if we were actually piloting Mechs we would be talking over video screens in out giant robot cockpits...

I feel like the lucite tower of dimes makes a great futuristic building until I work up some foam buildings in the right scale for Battletech.




3 comments:

  1. Great setup! In terms of buildings, if you have a printer, Germy.co have some great printable buildings at the BattleTech scale: http://www.germy.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marc, I have plenty of the old plastic stands that would work great with printed buildings. Thanks for the great idea!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the recommendation of Germy, Marc! I thought they would just be reproductions of the old Citytech buildings but those buildings on Germy blew me away. Amazing selection for a free site, and they will work great with Battletech or Epic, which is handy now that I dove into an epic painting project.

      Delete