Imperial Reference Cogitator

Monday, June 7, 2021

2nd Squadron, 2nd Company

 Squad Validus

Let's ignore for the moment the fact that the two flags in this picture are going in different directions, physics in the 41st millennium are weird ;-)
Roaring into battle this month are the first finished Ravenwing models I have added to my army.  Composed of the three bikes from the Dark Vengeance starter set plus an attack bike I lightly kitbashed to make it more Ravenwing.  They have been seeing a lot more use for me on the tabletop lately as my son and I play through a crusade campaign and I explore the new rules upgrades for Ravenwing in 9th addition.  These were the first unit out of the Dark Vengeance box that I painted, but do to a lack of confidence in my transfer and bannering skills I only recently fully finished them so I'll take the easy win of posting them here.  Follow along after the jump for pictures of these fast moving battle brothers of the Ravenwing...



These have so much detail and action to their poses they really make up for being build one way monopose plastics.




Since I built this at a time when I didn't have extra winged farings, I added the helmet wings from the Dark Angels veterans sprue to make the bike fit in with the rest of the squad.

The banner is paper glued to foil with rubber cement which allowed me to slightly curve it like it's blowing in the wind.

This model is definitely not 2nd edition but the variety and amount of spot colors I used on the sidecar and multi-melta gives it that nostalgic feel so that it looks like it fits alongside my more 2nd edition models.



4 comments:

  1. Looking good! I'm loving the old school look of the Plasma Gun and Multi-melta. I've been playing Ravenwing recently, they are a lot of fun, as well as being pretty powerful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike, I have been following your cool Batreps over on your site and have seen your Ravenwing in action. I put the bikes away for a while in 8th because I would always overextend them and just get them killed. With the souped up stats and weapons in 9th they are a lot more durable and have been one of my most effective units in Crusade games against my son.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, the third wound and jink saves are fantastic for their durability. If you give them obsec in the Outrider, they are a great unit for grabbing objectives.

      Delete
    3. I'll have to try that. We have been playing an escalation campaign because my son loves Tale of Four Warlords in WD so I haven't used enough points yet to take a second detachment.

      Delete