Imperial Reference Cogitator

Friday, March 13, 2020

WIP

Tripping The Natural Light Fantastic


Squad Peliel carefully moved across the strange surface of the alien world on which their drop pod had deposited them.  According to auspex readouts the ground was made up of intensely compacted layers of paper fiber and was covered in strange runes the size of an Astartes...




As the shadows grew long in the desert afternoon, brother Rakarth covered his fellow marines at the front of the advance knowing that even if the xenos they were hunting could withstand the deadly blast of his plasma gun, they would wither before the coruscating fire of brother Ezekiel's Plasma Cannon bringing up the rear of the column.

I took advantage of an unusual 70 degree February Saturday to try coating some of my finished models in Purity Seal for the first time.  In all my years in the hobby my butterfly nature and immature painting skills had all my miniatures in a perpetual WIP state.  Now that I'm actually finishing units and characters for the first time, I was motivated to try and protect said finished paint jobs.

Being the GW addict that I am, I went straight for the lazy option, especially since I had picked up a can of Purity Seal for half off in a local hobby store GOOB sale a couple of years ago.  I had been told that it will make your models very shiny, but fortunately with the two units and two Dreadnoughts I seal coated that day I didn't notice any change in their appearance.  Since I was outside with the models in question and it was a sunny day, I decided to try a picture or two in natural light to see what benefits that could bring.  I have seen fellow bloggers who mitigate the whole how do I get enough light on the miniatures dilemma by taking outdoor photos on super sunny days.  These photos also seem aided by the fact that they are getting way more light than they would even in the summer since the trees are empty of leaves at this time of year.  While I think they have a clean crispness that I like, I'm not so blown away that I'm going to schedule all my picture days on the fly depending on the sun's uninterrupted appearances each month...

2 comments:

  1. Looking regal in that sun light. For the Emperor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 6 months blogging and my first official comment! Thanks DAM, I love your blog so it's cool that the inaugural comment on the 1st Legion chronicles blog came from a fellow Dark Angels painter.

    ReplyDelete